Monday, July 20, 2026

When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip!

With cookout season in full swing, I figured it was high time to share my most tried and true, time-tested dipping sauces with all of you. These recipes are incredibly low effort, full of simple ingredients, but deliver such a satisfying payoff, which sums up my cooking style 100%. I don't live to be chained to my kitchen, following a bunch of complicated steps, with ingredients I had to go on a treasure hunt for. If that sounds like you, you've found the right place ... If you like it complicated, you can still do that, and let these sauces be the easy accessories that elevate the whole ensemble! Let's get started.

My favorite homemade Salsa, brought to us by the illustrious Chef Phil Walsh, who has cooked his way from coast to coast, and particularly up and down the Eastern Seaboard (if you're headed out to Block Island, RI this Summer, duck into Champlin's for a meal, and tell him I said,"What's up!"). Now, this recipe should not be a reflection on his skill-level, in college I begged him for the salsa recipe that had been served at my "welcome to town" dinner years earlier, because it was the ONLY fresh salsa I'd ever enjoyed eating. He couldn't remember. But, he took pity on me and came up with a basic salsa that even the biggest kitchen novice could master ... And it's delicious!

Here's what you need:
1 - Diced large white onion or 2 red onions
(or 1 of each) 
3 - Diced ripe tomatoes
1 - Small can of Cajun stewed tomatoes, hand crushed
2 - Diced finely & seeded green jalapeños 
3oz - Chopped cilantro

Here's what you do: 
Grab a bag of tortilla chips because you're going to be seasoning to taste!
In a medium-ish container, throw everything in, and start seasoning with Salt, Cayenne, Cumin, Pepper, and powdered or granulated Garlic, a touch of sugar (I've never needed to include this). I always begin with 1/4 teaspoon of each, and build from there. Stir. If it's too dry, just add a bit of tomato juice. Good luck ... (that part was meant for me, not you guys, surely you won't need any luck!). 

You can, of course amend this any way you like, you can always use fresh garlic, or (don't tell him I said this) jarlic, and you can play around with your spice combos until you come up with your family's favorite. You can not mess this up. 

 ***

Next up, the Guacamole that makes my toes curl!

Here's what you need:
3 - Large Avocados, peeled & pitted
1/2- Lime, juiced
1 - Onion, diced (red, white, yellow - your choice!)
1 - Can Tomatoes, diced (drained & rinsed)
1 - tsp. Garlic, minced
1/4 - tsp. Cumin
1/4 - tsp. Ground Coriander 
1/8 - tsp. Cayenne
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes

Here's what you do:
Throw everything in a food processor (or beefy blender of your choice), and whip the hell out of it. Chill, and serve.  

*** 

When it's time to cool things down, you ask? Whether you're dipping your hot wings, pizza, or fresh veggies, this is the only Ranch Dressing that's ever mattered to me! I've since had to give up dairy completely, but this is the ranch recipe that haunts me in my dreams.

Here's what you need:
1 - Cup Mayo
1/2 - Cup (heaping) Sour Cream 
1/2 - tsp. Chives, dried
1/2 - tsp. Dill Weed, dried
1/4 - tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 - tsp. Onion Powder
1/8 - tsp. Salt
1/8 - tsp. Black Pepper, ground

Here's what you do:
Whisk. Cover. Chill. Serve. 

Bon appétit!