Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Dress for Success

"What career matches your set of skills?"

One of the ways to get ahead in your career, they say, is to "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have," and friends, I think I've found where my dream wardrobe marries my dream job flawlessly.

In the 15th - 19th centuries, many wealthy people hired "garden hermits," who were real-life garden 'gnomes.'  They would dress like druids, live in a small shack in the garden, and offer wise counsel and guest entertainment.

I mean... 

I don't think I've ever seen a job description speak directly to my soul, in my entire life, as much as this one has.  The billowy robes alone are an instant draw for me, if I'm honest.  I am so serious right now, if there are any ridiculously wealthy folks out there reading this blog who need a living gnome (think more along the lines of Stevie Nicks; lace, velvet, glittery shawls, etc., than unwashed guru) traipsing around their gardens popping off nonsense wise counsel, then please feel free to make use of the email address in my sidebar posthaste!

Until then, I'll be busy putting my own garden in.  You read that right, my garden boxes are still not ready for this season.  The good thing is, my dahlia starts are going wild all over the workbench of my garden shed, but this is the year I absolutely had to break down my old worn out boxes, and assemble new ones.  There was no way around it, my poor boxes were hanging on last year by the sheer power of prayer, alone!  So I was totally stoked when my mother surprised me with the delivery of new box kits this spring, the only catch is that I wanted to paint them before assembly, and being limited on space means waiting for the weather to cooperate.  When the weather went straight from constant rain to 90°F heat, I was less than stoked - I live in a temperate climate on purpose, I don't want to have to deal with NiNEty dEgREe temperatures in May.  Aside from that setback, if you'll recall from my previous post, I was already half-way painting my kitchen, and building new stairs for my back porch anyway, on top of keeping up on the maintenance of my lawn that was completely exploding under those tropical growing conditions, so it's not like I had a lot of time to dole out for another project.  Hopefully this week is the magic week, I'm looking forward to getting my dahlias in the ground, and established by this Sunday ... That's the goal anyway.  We'll see how that goes.  The thing is, all the big growers I follow are just now (within the last week or so) getting their flowers out into the fields, so I really shouldn't feel like I'm lagging behind.  In the big picture, I think things are all coming together as they actually should, it just doesn't always feel like it in the moment.  But I think that's just kind of the nature of gardening, and being at the mercy of things, and elements so much larger than oneself, I am constantly reminded how much I am not in control of any of this.