Sunday, August 21, 2022

Happy Anniversary, Baby!


It all started with a flower pot, a clearance rack geranium (half off, and half dead), an overwhelming dose of sadness, a blistering case of burnout, and a glimmer of hope that things wouldn't always be the way that they were in that moment.  Fourteen years, and three hundred and ten posts later, and I can tell you with great certainty that things are definitely not the same.

Are things worse?  Are things better??  Yes.  
 
Am I worse?  Am I better??  Yes.  

All I knew back then was that something needed to change.  I had very little control over my immediate ... everything ... and I felt incredibly powerless, which sounds pretty bleak, I must say.  There wasn't much I could do, but I could do ... this.

I could take a little slice of the Internet, and make it not a complete Hellscape.  And so, that's what I've tried to do, admittedly for my own enjoyment, but I'm pleased to say that I'm awfully glad you're here, too.  Have I always followed my own advice from my very first post?  Have I done everything beautifully?  Not even close.  Each new day gives me another opportunity, though, and I completely believe it's worth it to keep trying.

All I know now is that absolutely nothing in my life has gone according to plan ... not a single thing ... not even coincidentally, or accidentally, and that's ok, it hasn't and it won't stop me from savoring it.  Incidentally, it hasn't made me stop making plans either, which ... oh never mind, I'm never going to stop making them, but maybe I'll just stop white-knuckling them.

So, what's been the biggest change in the last decade + a bit?  I wear moisturizer now, and my garden is bigger.  What's stayed the same?  My flowers are still teaching me.  
xoxo