Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas

Christmas Lights 2008

The snow's coming down; I'm watching it fall.

It started coming down, the first snow of the season, on the way back from something that's become a tradition over the last several years that I share with my mother.  The city was dark.  And quiet.  Most folks don't leave their lights on overnight anymore, I enjoy slinking around in the shadows, though, especially on a day when it seems to be accepted logic that we're all snug in our beds with visions of sugarplums dancing in our heads for, well, another few hours, at least.  There's something almost forbidden to being out and about this early, and I love the camaraderie amongst the holiday stragglers in those pre-dawn hours.  All of us going about our business ... alone ... together.  A little bit curious, with a warmth in our aloofness.  No prying, just acceptance.  And then we're back at home, at least I am, before the sun comes up.  I'm typing this from my bed, curled up in a fuzzy sweat suit, listening to the slush pelt the glass panes of my window.

The snow's coming down. I'm watching it fall.

It's not going to stick.

But it snowed.  On Christmas.

xoxo