Monday, April 10, 2017

Special Delivery: Garden Hoard


My seed stash is officially reaching hoarder status, and I blame it all on companies like Garden Hoard, Baker Creek Seeds, and Seeds Now for dazzling me with their enchanting selections of organic, heirloom, and non-gmo inventory.  But, I suppose all things considered, seeds aren't the worst things in the world to be "hoarding," and you're certainly not likely to find a family of dead cat skeletons under my seed collection, so I figure I'm still within a healthy range.  I am, however, desperate to get them in the ground.  Like, toddler on Christmas Eve all planting season long -- My window sills are already overtaken with the ones I couldn't wait any longer to start, and now I wait for the weather to relax a little since I'm not trying to turn my garden dressed like the Gorton's Fisherman in a monsoon.  I know I'm PNW stock, and like a good rainstorm, but even I have my limits, especially when it comes to Spring yard work.

Until it dries up around here, you'll have to excuse me while I fan-girl out a little bit over Garden Hoard.  Female owned, and operated, Garden Hoard brings us a decent sized inventory cultivated, and grown on their newly-ish acquired Renegade Acres where they've been able to consolidate their growing operation to one location.  What I love most about this business, aside from getting to watch it grow from its infancy (@gardenhoard for those kool kats on ig), is the amount of care, put into every aspect of it.  This is a business that wants to grow, and thrive, run by people who really believe in what they're doing -- and that's something I can totally get behind.  A lot of seed companies will throw in a free packet of something or another, and that's great (who doesn't love a freebie?), but Katie & Christopher stuff orders with complementary seed sowing, saving, and fact sheets that, if you're a nerd like me, can be tucked straight into your gardening book (gigantic 3-ring binder in my case) creating an excellent little quick reference library.  And since they do everything hands-on, personally, it's nice to have pieces of their advice for what has worked for their seeds based on first-hand experience, and not just generic generalizations.  I can't sing their praises enough, but if you're looking to put in a garden this year, especially if this is your very first, I definitely think Garden Hoard is worth checking out!

xoxo