Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Verdict is in:

GUILTY on 12 counts of being delicious!


After much anticipation, they're finally here, but not without mishaps ... though it really wouldn't be baking with me if there weren't any (like the time I mixed up baking soda, and powder for the lemon squares, but that doesn't really count because my way turned out better anyway). You might be wondering why the tops look particularly shiny, well that's what happens when you can't get the frosting right, and have to scrape it off 3 times (and that's before I started drinking). So the tops are not only frosted, but "glazed" as well. I realized something went very wrong when the frosting I loaded into the super shooter came running out when I turned it business side down. Back to the mixer with it! Way too many portions of confectioner's sugar later, and my frosting was none the thicker ... more of it, just not thicker. Realizing it was much too late to call my mother and desperately whimper "Help," I grabbed for the flour...

"I'll make you thick!" I proclaimed into the night air like a madwoman through my open window that did nothing to cool my house and 350* oven. Frosting or glue, I didn't know what would transpire, nor did I care as I shoved teaspoon after teaspoon into the flour sack ... ok I only did that twice, and it seemed to do the trick. So I stopped there, and ladled frosting out of the mixing bowl and slapped it onto the tops of twelve delightful cupcakes whose tops looked like the glistening cheeks of a teething baby with my wooden spoon for the last time.

I know you're dying to have as much fun as I did, and far be it from me to withhold that kind of joy ... without further ado, I give you:

Red Velvet Cupcakes
By way of Tori Spelling


CUPCAKES:

2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 ounces water
2 ounces red food coloring *Edit* Can I just say, this really is overkill? I used 1 oz and it was still more than enough.
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 (8oz) package cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter *Edit* I would seriously consider using 1/3 cup
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

MAKE CUPCAKES:
--pre heat oven to 350
--grease 12 cupcake cups or line with paper liners
--cream softened butter and sugar together till fluffy
--add eggs and blend well
--in separate small bowl combine cocoa and food coloring and stir. Once you have thick paste then add to mixture.
--sift salt and flour together into mixture
--add vanilla, buttermilk, and water to mixture
--in separate small bowl combine vinegar and baking soda. Fold into cake mixture
--pour mixture into cupcake cups.
--bake 15 to 20 minutes or until a wood toothpick inserted into middle of cupcake comes out clean.
--let cool for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto rack and let finish cooling.

MAKE FROSTING:
--blend together cream cheese softened and butter softened.
--add powder sugar and vanilla extract
--blend till smooth

FROST CUPCAKES!
(As many times as you need to)