Sunday, March 4, 2018

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Things are starting to warm up around here, and the seeds I started indoors back in February are now outgrowing their containers, and barking to get outside, which means it's time to map out the blueprint of their new dwellings while I start the hardening off process for these youngsters.  And because I'm such a nerd, this means I'm grabbing blank sheets of paper, my ruler, and makeshift seed-bank (keeping all growing instructions at my fingertips) to plan it all out. 

I don't like to leave much to chance, and gardening is already a bit of a gamble with a lot of variables to consider, so when it comes to things I can control I like to give it my best effort to give my plants a successful growing season.  For me, it comes down to location, location, location.

Okay, so if you're a gardener, you already know the advantages of a South-facing garden.  But if you're just starting out, it's important to realize not all South-facing beds are created equal.  You need to consider how the sunlight travels around your property, current vegetation / landscaping, and the buildings not only on your lot, but close neighboring lots as well.  Also, before tearing out perfectly good sod, or laying out raised beds, take into account the location's proximity to your property line, and where any enterprising neighbors may contemplate placing new construction in the near future, and how that will effect the available hours of sunlight on your intended location.  A new structure does not have to be the end of the world, after all, not all plants are looking forward to baking in the Summer's full sun all season long, and for them, there are ways to use obstructions to your advantage.  Placing delicate, or cool temperature loving plants in shadier, or protected areas can benefit them tremendously whereas placing them in full sun areas will leave them wilted and scorched all the while taking up much needed room for things that thrive in heat or harsh conditions.

In the Pacific Northwest, it's easy to get two full rounds of cool temperature plants in one season.  Vegetables that are typically planted midsummer in order to have a fall and early winter harvest can also be planted in shady sections of your garden in early spring after the last frost of the season has come and gone.  I've had great success with plants like red leaf lettuce, collard greens, Swiss chard, and radishes in my early morning to mid morning shaded garden bed.  By the time of their last harvest, it's already time to put in new seeds for the fall harvest.  I do realize I'm very lucky to live in a place where I can have a revolving garden pretty much all year long with little effort, but with some careful planning, the construction of cold frame boxes, or the investment of a small greenhouse, I believe people in most areas of the country are able to do the same thing.

This year, I'm also going to be trying my hand (or green thumb) at incorporating mushrooms into my raised garden beds nestled under my leafy greens, and I'm excited to see how it all works out.  Wish me luck!

As always, I can't post about gardening without listing my favorite seed-pushers below: