Saturday, August 6, 2011

Summer Reading

They say to never judge a book by its cover, but when I saw these on the clearance rack how could i resist?  I think somewhere between how do I love thee, and apple picking, these guys have got the season covered.  I love a good Summer read these days, but when I was a kid you couldn't find a more befitting form of torture!  I couldn't reconcile sitting around reading about something when I'd rather be out actually doing something, but now I can't think of a nicer way to relax than soaking in some sunshine, and reading a few lovely lines.
I'm pretty particular about the kinds of things I like to read, I've never been able to pick up just any ol' book and get into it.  That's not to say that everything I read is some award winning, soon to be classic either.  I like rich, full stories written in such a way that involves most, if not all of the senses.  Which is why I was a little skeptical trying out Read it Forward.  Every so often they add a new book to their line-up where you can score a free book to read and pass on typically before it hits bookstores.  What's not to like ... you know, unless of course you don't like the book.  I was lucky with my first attempt.  I signed up for a copy of The Philosophical Breakfast Club, was actually chosen, finished it this week, and loved it!  I was worried it would be smug, sterile, and just factually driven in almost list format, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  It was a full story of four friends, their lives, and how they changed the face of science forever - to this day we still follow the methods they founded.  Anyway, I can't wait to pass it on a story I thoroughly enjoyed!