Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ever Get the Feeling You're Being Watched?

No? Look harder, and in the meantime I'll type.

So it's been a while, hasn't it? Let's see, I'm another year older, and none the wiser I'm sure of it this time ... Halloween came, and went (grand total of 2 trick-or-treaters) ... then I missed my chance for an oh-so-clever "seems like just yesterday was October" post, then election day, followed closely by the 5th (which of course we shan't forget!) ... then I thought I could round it out with a cozy mid-November post, but I missed that by a few days, and we're still waiting for two more babies! It's been strangly calm, and busy at the same time, if that's possible. I'm sure it must be, how else would we get the phrase "hurry up and wait," surely there's a lot to that one!

But for now I'll sit, and enjoy my cup of Sugar Plum Spice tea, and get this heap of cyberspace up to date (ish). And yes, I'm the person buying those teas at the supermarket ... the day after my birthday becomes my "official" day to become unapologetically Christmas-minded. Yeah, there's Thanksgiving and all ... and trust me I likes me some turkey, and stuffing, and cranberry sauce, and, and, and ... but it's such an in the way holiday for me. I want birthday -> Christmas, though we can keep Halloween, with the whole dressing up, and candy gig. For me Christmas starts October 25th, and lasts all the way to January somethi ... ok whenever the tree dies, and however long I can stretch it without being that family who leaves the lights up so long that their holiday decorating next year consists of just plugging them back in. Basically, I've been waiting to get excited for this Christmas since last Christmas. What can I say? Some things you just don't grow out of!

It's not even the day that I care about either. December 25th? I could really take it or leave it, along with the perverse consumerism that seems to coincide with the day. What I DO love is the season ... yes, I'll always be true to my Fall, but Winter! Yes, Winter is my secret lover, for sure! Snow, glittering lights, sparkling ice covered otherwise bare branches! I love it all. Smells of baking goodies in a cozy home (or a candle that smells like baking goodies!) , all the classic holiday cartoons, Christmas cards, Christmas music (is there really such thing as too much trumpet or jingle bells in a song ... not to mention Bing). Anyway, this could really go on, er, and ... on (trust me), and it probably will with over a month 'til the big day (and however long I can push it past).

So really, here's to kicking off the 2008 Holiday Season!

xoxo

P.S.
Still don't feel like you're being watched?